Migration Issue

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 03:52:18 EST 2016

On 6 February 2016 at 22:30, Robert Burns <rebburns at zoomtown.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
> Thanks for your previous suggestions. I am sorry to have to keep bothering you, but I am running into a problem. Before I read John Ralls comments I did the following.
> I set up Dropbox on both computers. On the old computer the path to the accounts was C:\users\Robert Burns\.gnucash\books\.

Do you mean that you saved your accounts file to that folder when you
saved the accounts file?  That seems an odd place for you to store it.
If you don't know where it is then open the accounts on the original
computer and do File > Save As.  That should open a file browser
window and the folder that it initially shows should be where your
accounts file is.  Note that folder then close the browse window
(don't save the file).  If you then go and look in that folder you
should find the accounts file, probably called something like
accounts.gnucash, though again that will depend on what you called the
file when you saved it.  That file is the one containing all your
transaction data that is the key one that you need to synchronise,
along with a .LCK file which is the lock file.  Also in that folder
you should see all the log and backup files
with long timestamp numbers in their names.

Colin