Problem attaching image to invoice

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue Feb 9 11:45:21 EST 2016

On Tuesday 09 February 2016 15:57:23 David Goodenough wrote:
> On Saturday 06 February 2016 21:44:37 David Goodenough wrote:
> > I am trying attach a scanned PDF to an invoice that I have
> > entered.  When I entered the invoice and right clicked on any
> > part of it the the context menu did not contain any mention
> > of being able to attach a file.
> >
> > When I posted the invoice and then opened it, then I could
> > find a context menu entry to attach the file, but when I
> > try to attach it, I get an error saying that I am not allowed
> > to modify a posted invoice.
> >
> > What is the proper procedure for attaching files to invoice?
> >
> > I am using version 2.6.11 on a Debian sid system.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > David
>
> Does no one know how to do this?  Does this feature actually
> work?
>
> David

Hi David,

Unfortunately you can't do what you are trying to.

You are attempting to combine two features of gnucash in a way that was never intended.

On the one hand you can enter invoices via the business menu. When posted, these invoices
will be converted into a transaction in the A/R account (with splits in the respective income
accounts to balance). These transactions are read-only by design. You are not allowed to
change them directly.

On the other hand a new feature was introduced in gnucash 2.6.x that allows you to attach
documents to transactions. This was however only implemented for ordinary transactions,
without considering the transactions generated by the business module.

It's an unfortunate side-effect that the menu item is visible on business transactions as well. I
consider this a bug of the new feature.

Regards,

Geert