Ordering Transactions on same date

Chris Good chris.good at ozemail.com.au
Sat Feb 13 02:38:16 EST 2016

> Message: 5
> Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 14:50:40 -0500
> From: Macho Philipovich <macho at resist.ca>
> To: Joseph Hesse <joehesse at gmail.com>, gnucash-user at gnucash.org
> Subject: Re: Ordering Transactions on same date
>
>    On 2016-02-11 04:07 AM, Joseph Hesse wrote:
>
>      I have a bunch of expense transaction on the same date. I would like
>      to reorder them. Can I do it?
>
>    Hi Joseph,
>    This question came up on this list two weeks ago. Here's the thread:
>    [1]http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2016-January/063932.
>    html
>    I hope that helps,
>    Macho
>
> References
>
>    1. http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2016-
> January/063932.html

Hi Joseph,

I was on holidays at the time of this recent thread and didn't respond.
If I recall correctly, I was surprised when it was said that using the Num
field didn't work as that should definitely work.
The register by default orders transactions by Date, then Num (Action).
This is the Action field on the transaction line, not split lines.

If you are already using the Num field for something, you can also prefix
your data in the Num field with a number and a space, and then the
transactions are sorted by the date and then the number before the space. To
me, this is much easier than duplicating transactions.

As it is only the action field on the transaction that is used, if you wish
to order registers for different accounts (say for transfers between bank
accounts), you may be able to use creative numbers in order the get the
required sequence in multiple registers.

Please see for more info:

http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_order_transactions_in_a_registe
r_so_deposits_are_before_withdrawls.3F

Regards,