Transaction Importer (especially Bayesian Matching) documentation

Jim DeLaHunt from.gnucash at jdlh.com
Sat Feb 13 19:01:03 EST 2016

Hello, everyone:

I'm a long-time GnuCash user. Thanks to everyone for making this
wonderful piece of software.

I recently began a spurt of transaction importing, after a long pause. I
got re-acquainted with the importer for OFX transactions, and its
Bayesian matching capabilities. A couple of things didn't go smoothly
for me, so I'd like to see how I can turn that into contributions to the
relevant parts of GnuCash.

I don't see any end-user documentation about the transaction importer.
Am I missing something?

I looked for instructions on how to import transactions, and
troubleshoot inaccurate matching of accounts to transactions, in:
"GnuCash Help Manual", probably chapter 6 "Common Transaction Operations"
<http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-help/ch_Common_Trans_Ops.html>

and "GnuCash Tutorial and Concepts Guide", probably chapter 5
"Checkbook" or chapter 6 "Credit Cards"
<http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-guide/chapter_cbook.html>
<http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-guide/chapter_cc.html>

and the GnuCash Wiki, searching for "Import" or "Importing":
<http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/index.php?search=importing&title=Special%3ASearch&go=Go>
I don't see a lot; the most relevant being
FAQ: "How do I get most benefits from the self learning Bayesian
algorithm while importing?"
<http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_get_most_benefits_from_the_self_learning_Bayesian_algorithm_while_importing.3F>

If I'm missing something I want to find it, and see what it covers and
leaves out. Then, I will start a thread in gnucash-devel about where
best to contribute a chunk of end-user documentation on the topic.

There are other things I hope to contribute, but I'll put them in
separate messages.
Thank you for your help finding what I've overlooked!

--
     --Jim DeLaHunt, jdlh at jdlh.com     http://blog.jdlh.com/ (http://jdlh.com/)
       multilingual websites consultant. Using GnuCash 2.6.11 on Mac OS X 10.10.

       157-2906 West Broadway, Vancouver BC V6K 2G8, Canada
          Canada mobile +1-604-376-8953