Remote Access

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 13:08:29 EST 2016

On 17 February 2016 at 17:32, Benjamin Soffer (SLF)
<bsoffer at soffer-law.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to change my GC data remotely, from another computer on my
> network?  I have GC installed on a desktop PC, which is where my GC data
> file is stored.  I have enabled sharing of the folder where the file
> resides.  I also installed GC on a laptop that is connected to the network,
> and am able to get into and open the data file (on the PC) from the laptop.
> However, I am unable to save any changes I make from the laptop.  I get the
> following message:  "Could not make a backup of the file
> file:://\\host\user\documents\gnucash\GnuCash-data.gnucash."  This happens
> irrespective of whether or not the file is already open on the host side.

Do you have write and create permissions to the shared folder from the
laptop?  Check on the laptop using File Explorer (or whatever it is
called in Windows) or a file editor or something, that you can create
a file in that folder (from the laptop).

Colin