gnucash, sql, and libre office

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 20:34:25 EST 2016

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 2:25 PM, Kai Truempler <truempler at gmail.com> wrote:

> a couple of years ago I was using gnucash with the gnuc2ooo macro (
> http://www.alice-dsl.net/gnuc2ooo/save/).
>
> After a break from Gnucash, I was wondering now where I can find some hints
> how to use the now functioning sql backend in a similar way. Is there a
> tutorial how to set Libre Office (Base and Calc) up with the actual gnucash
> sqlite file in a way that was possible with the database created by the
> gnuc2ooo macro (like in this
> http://www.alice-dsl.net/gnuc2ooo/save/gnuc2ooo_en/Example1.html example?
>
> Many apologies if that question has been solved before, but I had a hard
> time finding an answer.

As you probably know, the macro described at that link is no longer
available, and its documentation stated it would no longer function for
GnuCash after 2.4.x versions. The macro's author felt it would be
superfluous since GnuCash 2.6.x can use Sqlite3 databases.

With a small amount of searching, I found some documentation here:

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/How_Tos/Using_SQLite_With_OpenOffice.org

I have made it partway through the setup (not yet successfully) but I
thought I would report back here with a big hint. Using that page's
examples on my Ubuntu 14.04 LTS installation, it turns out the ODBCConfig
utllity in unixodbc-bin is now  ODBCManageDataSourcesQ4

There's also an ODBCCreateDataSourceQ4 which launches a wizard.

However I haven't yet successfully created a working link from LibreOffice
to a GnuCash sqlite3 database file I created.

If you do develop a procedure that works, let's plan to put the information
on the GnuCash wiki.