Closing Accounts

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 20 16:12:50 EST 2016

The Hidden option for an account hides display in the Chart of Accounts page (which can be un-hidden from View->Filter By->Other and clicking Show Hidden Accounts). The hidden account continues to appear in the Transfer field drop down in registers.

The Placeholder setting makes an account read only, and has the secondary effect of removing the account from the above-mentioned drop down list. Once it is read-only, you cannot add transactions to the register (although for some reason you can delete them). In addition, an account that is set as a placeholder will not open from the chart of accounts when you double click it. You have to click the Open button.

As for re-arranging your accounts, you can do this pretty efficiently using the Delete Account option. GnuCash gives you the option of designating a new account for the transactions. So, deleting Income->2014, you could tell GnuCash to put the transactions into Income, or Income->MyNewIncomeAccount, or whatever.

David