No validation on date entry

Nelson Handcock nelson.handcock at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 16:55:55 EST 2016

Hi,

I use GN to manage the accounts for a non-profit organisation.

I use the import facility for bills and invoices, but I've found it easiest
to manually enter payments for these -(importing payments still requires
you to assign each payment to the corresponding invoice, so by entering
them manually it's done at entry time).

As I work my way through the list of payments (there can be quite a few),
I've sometime entered the date incorrectly - simple typo errors.

I've noticed in GN that you can enter any kind of value in the payment date
field, and it will turn it into a nonsensical date and happily save the
transaction.
For example, if I enter 31/15/15 (DMY format - the month should be 12) - GN
interprets this as "31/12/1898".

The problem I find is that later on (if I haven't noticed the typo), it is
quite difficult to find and correct the error.

So I'm wondering - shouldn't date fields have a basic validation routine so
that dates that are obviously incorrect be highlighted as an error? I think
this is similar to amount fields where you should get an error if you try
to enter non-numerical data. ie. - the day part has to be between 1 - 31,
the month part has to be between 1 - 12.

I've had a look through bugzilla and I can't see any other reports of this
- maybe it's just me :-)

Thanks & Regards,

Nelson Handcock
0409 149919