SQL - simultaneous GC access ?

Phil Longstaff phil.longstaff at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 21:16:46 EST 2016

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 8:58 PM, __ <tereque at gmail.com> wrote:

> thanks for the feedback. There is a discrepancy regarding on point though
>
> 2.) Will using SQL also change the character of GC from being a single-user
> system to a multi-user system?
>
> I'd assume any database allowed simultaneous access, so I tend to believe
> 'yes' would be correct?

The database may allow simultaneous access. However, gnucash is not yet a
true database application, so it will 1) not prevent two users from
stamping on each other, and 2) will not notice changes another user might
make to the data.

I should modify #1 - gnucash will write to a lock table in the database. If
another user tries to access the database, they will get a dialog box with
a message that the database is in use. If they choose to ignore that
message, that can lead to data loss. Gnucash just uses the database as data
storage. The advantage is that changes are saved immediately.

Phil