Enter wipes out half of transaction

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Sun Feb 28 09:57:06 EST 2016

On 2/28/2016 1:12 AM, E Rosenberg wrote:
> GnuCash 2.6.11 on Debian 8
>
> When I enter both the deposit & withdraw halves of a transaction and
> press enter or tab to start a new transaction, the last entry in the
> previous transaction is wiped out.
>
> Any Ideas?
>
> TIA
>
> Ethan

Yes I have ideas, but they might be based upon misinterpreting what you
say you are doing.

If you aren't talking about a "split transaction" then you would never
be entering BOTH a deposit and a withdrawal amount. You would ether be
entering a deposit (and then the ACCOUNT for the other half of the
transaction) or a withdrawal (and then the ACCOUNT for the other half of
the transaction).

Using gnucash you are entering directly into the LEDGER. The JOURNAL is
implicit/virtual.  I am saying this because in old fashioned bookkeeping
one DID first enter the transaction into the JOURNAL where you would be
entering both sides -- and those two lines would later be posted into
the LEDGER ---- hence the possibility that a little bit of knowledge
about double entry bookkeeping (the old fashioned way) might be
confusing you. Computerized accounting software COULD have been designed
that way (enter into JOURNAL plus automatic posting) but as far as I
know ALL do it more like "cashbook accounting" (no journal, well not an
explicit journal)

Michael