entries into register won't record

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 16:32:59 EST 2016

I just went back to your original message, since you said the behavior is
the same using the same data file in GnuCash 2.6.11 for Windows. Your
system is Ubuntu 14.04 and you're running the GnuCash 2.6.1 version in the
repository. You have not yet tried to use the current version of GnuCash
available via getdeb.net.

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 2:10 AM, <gnua at sundew.org.uk> wrote:

> This seems to happen at unpredicatable times.  When entering a sequence of
> transactions, tonight it was the second one, having the transfer account
> auto-completed, and entered the amount, pressing enter won't record the
> entry.  Pressing the record button has the same effect.  Closing the
> account, and forcing save changes does not save the entry.  I've re-entered
> the entry, changed to transaction journal and I can enter and move onto a
> new, blank entry as I would expect.  What am I doing wrong? !

You asked if it's significant that you're seeing the same behavior in
Windows, and it may be -- this is certainly not expected behavior.

Maybe it's time to tease out the exact scenario, too. When you are entering
a sequence of transactions, I'm assuming you're talking about entering bank
transactions into a bank account (asset account) register, or entering
credit card transactions into a credit account (liability account) register.

How did you initially set up the accounts? Did you use the new account
wizard, or did you create your own accounts yourself?  Can you describe
exactly how one of the problematic accounts is defined, for example:

Assets:Current Assets:BigBankName Account

You said you are able to finish an entry using the General Ledger so I
assume you know what the "ordinary" registers look like and operate. When
you aren't able to finish entering, is GnuCash displaying any sort of
error? Did it ever? You might try Actions --> Reset Warnings in case you're
not seeing a relevant error message.

If you see something odd when you're entering data, it might be helpful to
take a screenshot to show what the register looks like.

P.S.: As several folks have suggested it won't hurt to get the latest
version on your Ubuntu system. Once you successfully upgrade GnuCash, you
need to delete the (hidden) cache directory
.cache/guile/ccache/2.0-LE-8-2.0/ in your home directory. (Deleting the
cache is only necessary ONCE when upgrading from Gnucash 2.6.0-2.6.4 to
something more recent on a linux system.)