Search and Replace

nevyoung nevyoung at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 09:37:58 EST 2016

I have been doing something similar.  I open the *.gnucash  file and do a
S&R there. Bit tedious but it works.

One of the issues I was having was each time I entered the description  "X
Bank", a previously entered "X Bank Fee" would always be entered. I had to
edit 'fee' part out of the description each time. I would have liked to
replace all previous "X Bank Fee" descriptions with "X Bank".

I had some descriptions in initial caps which I decided should rather be in
caps, but there was no way I could get the program to accept the caps - it
automatically changed it to the memorised initial caps format.

Editing the .gnucash file was the only way I could get around these bug.

@ John Ralls - It may be that big company auditing and accounting rules do
not allow changes to existing data, but those systems were put in place by
experienced accountants after much planning. I thought that Gnucash was
meant for the home or small business user who certainly would need to change
earlier entries made in error.