QIF import.... nothing imported

david.carlson.417@gmail.com david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 11:36:49 EST 2016

    Glad you finally had an epiphany :)
I am sure that the developers do not promise that Gnucash will give an error message for any possible condition like the one that you had.  You might have noticed that it skipped the match payees step or the match transactions step if the documentation in the help had been more explicit.
David C
Sent from my LG G Pad 7.0 LTE, an AT&T 4G LTE tablet

------ Original message------From: AllanDate: Sat, Jan 2, 2016 8:02 PMTo: David Carlson;Cc: gnucash-user at gnucash.org;Subject:Re: QIF import.... nothing imported
    I'll rerun and report the steps:
    File->Import->QIF
    Info screen:click Forward
    Select the file to load. Here's part of it... 106 lines total...    This looks ok to me.
    !Type:Invst
    D11/19'15
    U0.03
    T0.03
    MCourtesy Credit
    LIncome:Interest
    ^
    D12/01'15
    U0.03
    T0.03
    MCourtesy Credit
    LIncome:Interest
    ^
    D12/03'15
    U0.01
    T0.01
    MCourtesy Credit
    LIncome:Interest
    ^
    D12/17'15
    U0.01
    T0.01
    MCourtesy Credit
    LIncome:Interest
    ^

    Info screen: press Start
    Account Name: I enter the account ... Assets:Cash acct  and Forward
    "QIF files you have loaded..." I'm done, click Forward.
    Info screen, click forward,
    Match QIF accounts with GC accounts. One is shown, exact match as    always. Forward
    Income and expense categories info screen: Forward
    Match QIF categories with GC accounts: big list of 20-25  categories    and accounts, all exact matches. nothing New. Click forward,
    Currency USD , Forward
    QIF import Start
    Update your GC accounts: Click Apply
    QIF Import complete, Done.

    Now I look for changes in the registers.....and can't find any    anywhere. Nothing happened!!!!

    Somewhere a light shines... an angel appeared, ... (weird, but... he    looks like ObiWan, Oh well, I'm deparate here!), and says...

    Check the QIF!

    Huh. Not the force? At this point, I got to looking in some other    QIF's that imported months ago, and found the problem. I have no P    (Payee) field in the QIF. In my register, it was blank so I left it    out in the Calc2QIF macro that creates the QIF. The following QIF is    what's needed (with the PGT, Payee field:

    D03/02'15
    U19.80
    T19.80
    PGT
    MGOODYEAR TIRE & RUBBER CO: CASH DIV  ON     330: AT $.06        PER SHARE
    LIncome:Dividend:GT
    ^

    What an ordeal. There needs to be some kind of error or message to    indicate what's going on here.

    Thanks for your help David. Come by for a cold one any time! :-)

    Allan