Hire agreements

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Tue Jan 5 06:23:52 EST 2016

Hi Alex

If you treat the printer as an asset, you would have to writeoff the
printer as a depreciation of its initial value over the period of the
agreement and you would record the start of the hire agreement as

Asset:Printer:InitialValue                      debit  £26,022.20
Liability:Printer Hire Agreement                      credit £26,022.20

Each quarterly payment would be recorded as

Liability:Printer Hire Agreement   debit  £1,301.11
Asset Checking Account                                credit  £1,301.11

To record the printer depreciation you have to set up an asset contra
account, i.e. an account whose balance is subtracted from the Asset:
Printer account. This can be done with a Parent Account
Asset:Printer:CurrentValue  which has as child accounts both
Asset:Printer:InitialValue and Asset:Printer:Depreciation. When you make
each quarterly payment you would then also record the asset depreciation
as follows.

Asset:Printer:Depreciation                           credit  £1,301.11
Expense:Printer               debit  £1,301.11.

The accumulated balance of the Asset:Printer:Depreciation is subtracted
from the InitialValue account to give the balance of the CurrentValue
account which records its decreasing value. This is a bit complex but
will give you a complete record of the initial purchase, record the
original value of the asset and its depreciated value reaching 0 at the
end of the hire period.

You may need to check your taxation law in the UK on such hire
agreements as there can be limitations on what can be written off and
when in the taxation legislation which are jurisdiction dependent.

Pays to check it out with an accountant when you prepare your tax
return. Again the procedure would be the same but the amounts  of the
depreciation and Expense splits may vary and you may have to deal with a
residual book value at the end of the term normally with a write off of
an residual value similar to the above transaction. As the hire company
buys the printer back at 0 value, the above treatment is most likely to
be applicable.

Cheers

David Cousens

--
*Dr David R Cousens* B.Sc.(Physics), M. Prof. Acc., Ph.D. (Physics),
Grad.Cert. Ed.