Installing on iMac

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Jan 5 14:50:02 EST 2016

> On Jan 5, 2016, at 8:55 AM, Michael Ellenbogen <michael at eonscreative.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Gnucash
>
> When attempting to install GnuCash 2.6.10 for Mac OS X Intel on my computer the install was aborted by the system as the publisher was unverifiable.
>
> This is what I have:
>

> OS X El Capitan
> 10.11.2 (15C50)
> iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
> 4 GHz Intel Core i7
> 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
>
> Are there any instructions you can provide to confirm it is safe to install GnuCash on my computer and how to get around the block?
>
> Also, as someone who is looking for an accounting software to enable managing multiple accounts from personal to non-profit to small business to cash in one connected environment, is this the right software? My businesses and accounts are small and I am not experienced in accounting, never having used even Quicken for long.

>From Terminal, run
  codesign -vvd /Applications/Gnucash.app
You should get
Executable=/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash
Identifier=org.gnucash.Gnucash
Format=bundle with generic
CodeDirectory v=20200 size=163 flags=0x0(none) hashes=1+3 location=embedded
Signature size=8545
Authority=Developer ID Application: John D Ralls
Authority=Developer ID Certification Authority
Authority=Apple Root CA
Timestamp=Dec 20, 2015, 1:18:17 PM
Info.plist entries=17
TeamIdentifier=Y9EHT5WMK7
Sealed Resources version=2 rules=12 files=4236
Internal requirements count=1 size=180

If you get something else, drag Gnucash.app and Gnucash-Intel-2.6.10-1.dmg to the trash, empty the trash, and download the dmg again. Use only the link on www.gnucash.org, the SourceForge gnucash project or the release note on our Github repo.

Yes, GnuCash should meet your needs, though the "connected environment" part might be problematic. You should (and in the case of non profits and business entities like partnerships and corporations must) keep separate books for each entity. Those books are separate files in GnuCash and there's no facility for connecting them.

If you're not experienced in accounting then you should at least read a book about it. Consider taking an introductory course. Note also that Quicken isn't an accounting program, it's a personal finance program. Quickbooks is Intuit's accounting product.

Regards,
John Ralls