Finding Invoice Type "?" / CSV Import Help

Chris Good chris.good at ozemail.com.au
Wed Jan 6 23:19:02 EST 2016

> Message: 10
> Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 14:17:34 -0800
> From: "Benjamin Soffer \(SLF\)" <bsoffer at soffer-law.com>
> To: <gnucash-user at gnucash.org>
> Subject: Finding Invoice Type "?" / CSV Import Help
>
> Hello,
>
> I am running GC 2.6.10 in Windows 8.1 and am new to GC.
>
> I spent hours entering all my transactions, including a number of invoices.
> I have also "processed payments" for most of the invoices.  I have no idea
> how this happened, but somehow a few of the invoices got messed up.  They
> are being listed in the AR account, but their type has changed to "?" (the
> other invoices are type "I").  Although the ? invoices are displayed and
> their amount is counted, they cannot be "found" using the "find invoice"
> tool using any of the options (e.g., invoice number, client name, date,
> etc.).  I understand that they cannot be deleted (even if I could find
> them), but I wanted to change their amount to 0 so that the accounting for
> the clients is not distorted by their amounts.
>
> So I thought I could get rid of them by exporting everything to CSV files,
> removing the offending transactions from the applicable asset and income
> CSVs, and then importing the all the CSVs into a new GC file, which I would
> use going forward.  The problem is that I have no idea how to correctly map
> the CSV columns to the proper GC categories.  Besides, there are a lot more
> columns than there are available categories.
>
> Ideally, I would like a way to "find" the bad invoices and fix them.  Absent
> that, I would appreciate any help with how to properly import the CSV files.
>
> Thanks
> Ben Soffer

Hi Ben,

I don't know about your funny statuses (I don't use the business features myself) but have a look at the FAQ on the GnuCash website. There's a big section on fixing problems with invoices/payments.

That was a good idea trying to edit the csv transactions but unfortunately the importer is not up to putting transactions back in the way they were originally. I suggest you don't waste any time more time doing that.

Some-one else may be able to help more.

Regards, Chris Good