Fwd: GnuCash Budget-related question

Alex Aycinena alex.aycinena at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 12:58:29 EST 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Nathan Falco <nathanfalco1022 at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 7:54 PM
Subject: GnuCash Budget-related question
To: alex.aycinena at gmail.com

Hello,

I am new to GnuCash and I have downloaded 2.6.1 for use as personal
budgeting/finance management software. Here is the scenario: in my personal
budget I have several "fund" accounts which represent several divisions of
the balance in one savings account, much like expense accounts divide up
the checking account balance normally. I regularly make deposits to these
accounts and infrequently make withdrawals. Most of the time these "funds"
carry a positive balance in my budget but there is only one savings account
to reconcile with the bank. Should I create these "fund" accounts in the
"expenses" category or should I create them as sub-accounts of the savings
account? how would the program track the respective balances of the "funds"
and also the balance of the savings account? thanks in advance.

Nathan Falco
South Carolina