Finding Invoice Type "?" / CSV Import Help

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Fri Jan 8 04:02:17 EST 2016

On Wednesday 06 January 2016 14:17:34 Benjamin Soffer wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I am running GC 2.6.10 in Windows 8.1 and am new to GC.
>

> I spent hours entering all my transactions, including a number of
> invoices. I have also "processed payments" for most of the invoices.
> I have no idea how this happened, but somehow a few of the invoices
> got messed up.  They are being listed in the AR account, but their
> type has changed to "?" (the other invoices are type "I").  Although
> the ? invoices are displayed and their amount is counted, they cannot
> be "found" using the "find invoice" tool using any of the options
> (e.g., invoice number, client name, date, etc.).  I understand that
> they cannot be deleted (even if I could find them), but I wanted to
> change their amount to 0 so that the accounting for the clients is
> not distorted by their amounts.

Are you sure you can't just delete the transactions of type "?" ? I would expect you can. A "?"
type transaction generally indicates a transaction that was entered outside of the business
features.

Have you been importing transactions via one of the importers perhaps ?

> So I thought I could get rid of them by exporting everything to CSV
> files, removing the offending transactions from the applicable asset
> and income CSVs, and then importing the all the CSVs into a new GC
> file, which I would use going forward.  The problem is that I have no
> idea how to correctly map the CSV columns to the proper GC
> categories.  Besides, there are a lot more columns than there are
> available categories.

As Chris already suggested: the CSV importer would not help here, because the general
importer is not aware of the business features and wouldn't be able to reconstruct your
invoices properly.

> Ideally, I would like a way to "find" the bad invoices and fix them.
> Absent that, I would appreciate any help with how to properly import
> the CSV files.

First try to delete them directly from the A/R account. If that fails, what error message do you
get ?

Regards,

Geert