GnuCash Budget-related question

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 8 11:10:35 EST 2016

Michael,
(Not sure why, but your previous message came through blank for me)...
I agree that there is confusion on this topic, as evidenced by the numerous threads that have popped up in the last couple of weeks.
I directed attention to the guide because in my opinion, that would be the appropriate place to put such information, if it were to go anywhere.  The fact that the chapter doesn't cover this topic is more a function of the lack of author/contributors to the documentation than it is an intention to omit it. I believe that the budgeting chapter was probably put together several years ago and never updated or improved.
It's too bad that more of these in depth last discussions don't e it into the documentation somewhere.
Mike, the blog posts you mention would probably be a good starting point for such documentation updates. I myself recommended them on another thread recently.
David

  On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 10:23, Mike Evans<mikee at saxicola.co.uk> wrote:   On Fri, 08 Jan 2016 09:16:54 -0500
Mike or Penny Novack <mpnovack at mtdata.com> wrote:

> On 1/8/2016 7:35 AM, David T. wrote:
> > Michael,
> >
> > http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-guide/chapter_other_assets.html
> >
> > Additions and suggestions are always welcome (as I am not much of a
> > user of the budget features, I do not consider that I should attempt
> > to add to this section).
> >
> > David
>
> But that is precisely what I was talking about (generalized confusion).
>
>  What was being asked for, so called "envelope budgeting", is a
> process, and in spite of the "budget" in its name would not be part of
> the "budget features" of gnucash. Just the standard set of books set up
> and used in a particular way.
>
> And I was further trying to describe the difference between "manuals"
> (what our guides so far are) and a "user guide" (which we don't have,
> although we do have an introduction to double entry bookkeeping).
>
> Envelope budgeting ---- guide section would be how to set up your CoA
> and how to enter transactions to enable this aid to keeping expenses
> "within budget" (plan). Might have to stress "do not look at the
> "budgeting features" of gnucash for this, though might have some use for
> this features in the PLANNING phase (use results to establish the
> envelope amounts).
>
> Michael

I found this:

http://allmybrain.com/2011/01/26/simplified-envelope-budgeting-for-gnucash/

It describes a method (actually two as there's an earlier article as well) of envelope budgeting.

Mike E

--
PGP key:
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x00CDB13500D7AB53