Problems starting Gnucash under Windows 7

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 21:52:15 EST 2016

On 1/8/2016 1:55 AM, Michael wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> we recently upgraded a number of computers to Windows 7 (32 bit, SP 1)
> after formatting the hard disks and could not start the newly installed
> Gnucash on any of them. After installing Gnucash 2.6.10 the opening
> screen popped up once in a flash and disappeared. Going back to an older
> installation file (2.6.5) which runs on another computer under Windows
> 10 without problem ended with the same result. In the net I found the
> proposal to run Gnucash as administrator. This didn't solve the problem.
> Two out of the three tested computers are on-line, one off-line. The
> on-line machines are protected by Kaspersky, the off-line machine has no
> anti-virus installed.
> We switched the whole accounting of our association to Gnucash and are
> now in trouble as we can't get it running on the accountants computer.
> So any help is highly appreciated.
>
> Best regards,
> Michael

Are you having any problems with other programs?  It seems odd to only
have problems starting GnuCash, especially when very few (if any) other
users have reported similar issues with release 2.6.10 in Windows 7.  It
does seem a little unusual to be using a 32 bit Windows 7 installation
unless you have an old computer, in which case GnuCash may run rather
slow, but it should be roughly the same as it was in either XP or W7 on
those machines.  GnuCash is compiled as a 32 bit program in either case,
so that should not be a factor, but I could be wrong.

The resounding silence on this issue suggests that nobody has any better
suggestion other than buying new computers.  I heard that new computers
with W7 will not be available much longer.

David C

David C