Good PR

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Wed Jan 13 07:50:56 EST 2016

On Wednesday 13 January 2016 02:55:15 Steve wrote:
> Actually, I found this portion of the review rather absurb, trying to
> make spinach look like a chocolate chip cookie:
>
> "One reason I particularly like GnuCash as an option is the
> availability of a mobile application which complements, rather than
> emulates, its desktop companion."
>
> If he finds the fact that the mobile app does not emulate the desktop
> application a positive, he is one strange bird.

I interpreted that part as follows:
A desktop and a mobile device have totally different user interaction schemes (one has
keyboard and mouse and generally a relatively big screen, the other is touch based, and the
relatively small screen has to be divided by a keyboard and useful content).
As such different user interfaces are required for both. And in that context the mobile app is
indeed much better adapted to mobile interfaces than the current desktop application.

That is of course only my interpretation.

And for me personally I would prefer a mobile app that internally uses the same source code to
handle the accounting and storage logic. The reality however is that the current engine code
(as we call these parts in the desktop application) are almost impossible to port to the android
environment in its current state. My hope is that the c++ rewrite will simplify that. Until that
time the current gnucash for android app is as close as we'll get to mobile presence for gnucash
(which imo is already quite an achievement).

Regards,

Geert