End-of-Year Accounting for Daycare Service

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Wed Jan 13 09:18:38 EST 2016

On 1/12/2016 7:55 PM, Terry Morse wrote:
> I'm helping a friend with the accounting for her daycare business. [Note: I am not an accountant.] Some of her customers pay on a monthly basis, some weekly, some daily, and some hourly. One customer receives a government subsidy for daycare and owes a monthly copay plus a variable monthly differential. This customer regularly pays the copay, but is usually in arrears on the differential. Thus, my friend's actual income is much less than she should have been paid. This has complicated the end-of-year accounting for tax purposes.
Terry, the FIRST thing to determine (and you didn't tell us) is how she
files taxes, "cash basis" or "accrual basis".

The business features of gnucash (invoicing, etc.) are assuming "accrual
basis". But most small tax payers (and many small businesses) use "cash
basis".

Accrual basis means the income counts as hers when earned (whether she
has received it or not). Cash basis means it isn't income for her until
she has received it. THAT is what counts here. Note that if you/she
choose to keep the books on a different basis than her taxes are to be
done, going to have some challenging adjustment issues << doable, but as
you say, you are not an accountant >>

Your problem is the delay in the "government subsidy" part, yes? BTW, it
isn't relevant how the different customers' charges are computed
(monthly, weekly, daily, or hourly rate) but the frequency at which they
pay is << for example, could be being charged 400/month but be paying
against that obligation 200/twice a month >>

Michael D Novack