Install upgrade from 2.6.1 to any other verison fails

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sat Jan 16 10:24:57 EST 2016

Hi,

On Sat, January 16, 2016 10:11 am, Colin Law wrote:
> On 16 January 2016 at 14:58, Neal Lithwick <nhlithwick at gmail.com> wrote:
>> neal at Lith-Serv:~$ ls /usr/local/bin
>> gnc-fq-check  gnc-fq-helper  gnucash      gnucash-make-guids lcdoctl
>> gnc-fq-dump   gnc-fq-update  gnucash-env  gnucash-valgrind
>>
>> As a matter of complete disclosure, I did start to build from source the
>> first time I tried this but I never completed it (I stopped it) because
>> it
>> seemed to keep going and going, never ending. It would have been 2.6.10
>> (at
>> that time), not 2.6.1
>
> I don't think there can be any doubt that that is how they got there,
> even if the version seems wrong.  You would probably be safe just to
> delete those but just in case I suggest you just move them so you can
> put them back if you find you needed them (which is not likely).  So
> something like
> cd /usr/local/bin
> sudo mkdir old
> sudo mv * old
> which will move them all into the 'old' folder.
> Having done that then
> which gnucash
> should show nothing, and if you try and run gnucash it should fail.
> Then you can
> sudo apt-get install gnucash
> and hopefully all will be well.

Unfortunately that may not be sufficient.  It is possible that the gnucash
libraries from the version you built and installed into /usr/local might
interfere with the system packaged version.

So while moving the binary in /usr/local/bin out of the way is one step,
you might need to clear out more of /usr/local.

The BEST way to do this would be "make uninstall" from your source/build
tree.  Of course if you don't have that around anymore that might be
problematic.

Another option is to just mv /usr/local out of the way, but then you'd
also lose "lcdoctl" which is not a gnucash app.

> Colin

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745