Transactions involving different currencies

rsbrux rsbrux at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 16 10:31:48 EST 2016

Dear John,

Thanks for responding.  I didn't even know it was possible to attach
screenshots on a mailing list.

I attempted to insert the text from a report of the transactions, but
couldn't figure out how to ensure column alignment in the post.

I'm trying to reproduce it here using HTML.
An earlier transaction created in GC 2.4 looks like this in the register of
the fund:

Date
Num
Description
Account
Total Shares
Price
Tot Buy
Tot Sell

08.05.2015

Purchase Sarasin OekoSar Equity Global

58.7408

58.7408

Buy

Assets:Investments:MP:PostFinance:Sarasin Sustainability Fund
58.7408
169.14
9,935.42

Ausgabekommission
Expenses:MP:Commissions:EUR

49.68

Umsatzabgabe
Expenses:MP:Taxes:EURO

14.90

Trading:CURRENCY:CHF

10,505.00

Trading:FUND:Sarasin Sustainability Fund
-58.7408
169.14

9,935.42

Assets:Current Assets:MP:PostFinance:Sparkonto

10,505.00

Trading:CURRENCY:EUR

64.58

The account "Assets:Current Assets:MP:PostFinance:Sparkonto" is in Swiss
Francs (CHF).  The amount of 10,505 represents 10,000 Euro at the exchange
rate in effect on that date.
When I try to create a new transaction of this type in GC 2.6.1, even if I
duplicate the existing transaction, GC 2.6.1 creates an imbalance like this:

Date
Num
Description
Account
Total Shares
Price
Tot Buy
Tot Sell

06.10.2015

Purchase Sarasin OekoSar Equity Global

63.8113

63.8113

Buy

Assets:Investments:MP:PostFinance:Sarasin Sustainability Fund
63.8113
155.7
9,935.42

Ausgabekommission
Expenses:MP:Commissions:EUR

49.68

Umsatzabgabe
Expenses:MP:Taxes:EURO

14.90

Trading:CURRENCY:CHF

10,000.00

Imbalance-CHF

1,039.00

Trading:FUND:Sarasin Sustainability Fund
-63.8113
155.7

9,935.42

Assets:Current Assets:MP:PostFinance:Sparkonto

11,039.00

Trading:CURRENCY:EUR

64.58

In this case EUR 10,000 cost CHF 11,039.  GC 2.4 didn't do this to me, but
if I touch one of the previously created transactions, GC 2.6.1 insists on
adding an imbalance.

Thanks for your support!

Best regards,

Roger Brooks