Beginner Issues with GNUCash

soulrade bosemajor at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 17 15:40:43 EST 2016

Hi all,

This is my first time using an accounting package and have come across some
User Interface issues or the issues that is making things very difficult.

1. First issue is, since I am testing the accounting program for starters, I
found it very difficult to reset the data. I had to go through line by line
deleted each and every transaction. Not sure why a mass select all feature
doesn't exist or even a reset button. Would have made life so much easier.

2. Second issue, the auto detection import feature is so buggy, it kept on
classifying several transactions with the wrong account. No matter how many
times I imported them so in the end I had to check line by line anyway.

3. Matching transactions is proving to be a nightmare. Initially I thought I
would import all accounts and then match them off. Like some online
accounting packages. Of course this did not work as it created tonnes of
duplicate transactions. After reading online I followed the next step.

4. I receive my bank statement and paypal statement all with individual
transactions and descriptions. It seems if I match a transaction from the
Bank first. Then on Paypal import the Paypal description is lost, on
subsequent imports these transactions are ignored. Ok that's fine but I've
lost the Paypal description title data, instead the Bank Description
remains.

5. When matching off transfers, you also lose the date the transaction took
place in the second batch of Paypal import. Since it's the initial date
that's used from the transfer and title that is recorded came from the Bank.
So now reconciling Paypal statements have become out of line as dates don't
match.

6. Transactions such as card verification where amount is taken from the
bank, this transaction appears on Paypal several days later, so now I have
one entry for the bank matching process and another for when the amount
appeared on the Paypal statement.

So now my only option is I must delete the new Paypal transaction, since one
is already recorded from the initial bank matching, but I lose all the
detail of the Paypal transaction.

Apologies for such a long thread, just some issues I encountered and find
doing it in anyway I either lose data from one set of accounts. The Bank
statements don't match to the original anymore nor does the Paypal
statements.

Waveapps for example let you import all transactions as they are, all you do
is create a link between them and all dates, titles, descriptions stay
intact and match exactly as they are seen on your statements.