Sharing customers between GnuCash files

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jan 21 10:57:17 EST 2016

Hi,

Macho Philipovich <macho at resist.ca> writes:

>    Hi again,
>    Is there any convenient way to share customers, jobs, and invoices
>    between separate GnuCash files?

No.  Honestly this doesn't even make sense.

>    This is a follow-up to the question I asked last month: I received
>    helpful advice that I should manage my trust account in a separate
>    GnuCash file from my regular business account.
>    Money given by clients before for which no invoice has been issued must
>    be deposited in the trust account (irrespective of whether the work has
>    been done). As soon as the client is invoiced, the money must be
>    transferred from the trust account into the regular business account.
>    You can see how sharing customer, job, and invoice information would be
>    fairly central to this process.
>    Thanks again for any guidance you can provide!
>    Macho

This doesn't sound like a trust account; it sounds like an ESCROW
account.  I suspect it's not its own taxable entity, but is, rather,
taxed as part of the business.  The advice given before is probably
wrong.  I think the escrow account SHOULD be part of your business file
and NOT tracked separately.

But honestly, I'm not sure why you need this extra account?  Is there
some canadian legal requirement to hold the funds in a separate account?
Or are you just trying to figure out how to handle pre-payment by your
customers?

-derek