Sharing customers between GnuCash files

Benjamin Soffer (SLF) bsoffer at soffer-law.com
Sat Jan 23 08:54:09 EST 2016

It seems to me that, from a bookkeeping standpoint, one could do what Mr. Ralls (and MSBA) has suggested but within the file where all the law firm's other accounts are kept; there is no need to create a separate file to keep track of the trust account transactions.  I would add, however, that rather than "[creating] sub accounts in one or the other" (as MSBA apparently prefers) there should be created subaccounts on the asset side AND corresponding subaccounts on the liability side.

Ben Soffer