How to handle IRA distributions?

Buddha Buck blaisepascal at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 13:31:03 EST 2016

What additional income? You haven't described any in this scenario. Your
net worth did not change when the IRA distributed money to you.

What gets complicated here is that a (traditional) IRA is a tax-deferred
income account. Which means that while you earn income in one year, you
don't pay income tax until it's distributed.

So if what you are trying to do is to account for income for tax purposes,
you need to track the distributions, not the income (which in theory you've
been tracking all along)

One way to do that is to have a contra account on the IRA account,
ASSETS\IRA\DISTRIBUTIONS, and then when you receive a check you CR the
IRA\DISTRIBUTIONS and DB CHECKING.