How to handle a sales tax rebate?

Greg Skelhorn gskelhorn at eastlink.ca
Sun Jan 24 07:08:07 EST 2016

On 16/01/23 23:46, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 09:49:00 -0400
> Greg Skelhorn <gskelhorn at eastlink.ca> wrote:
>
> > If you are still reading... Thanks!
> > Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Actually I skipped down to here....

Yes, I felt as though I was becoming to long winded with the explanation... :-)

> Work all this out on paper (real paper) and set things out. Check with
> the accountant.
>
> When that is worked out you can let us all here know and we can help
> you set up the program to replicate the paper version.
>
> Liz

This is certainly great advice and I will follow it. Before I do, however, I would like to explore the Gnucash more. Could you answer a couple of questions for me?

The account structure is not important to me at this point. I will continue using the spreadsheet system until the end of March 2016.

The source information I see can be any of:
- an actual itemized invoice,
- the total paid including full tax,
- the cost of service before tax, or
- the rebated transaction total.

With my spreadsheet I can input any of the above values and have the other columns filled automatically. I can also see each of the values when a question arises later and when reconciling against the quarterly statement.

Is it possible to use Gnucash in a manner that will allow me to see each value?
If possible, do you expect it will add a lot of complexity?
Should I expect to use a uniform input? (i.e. use desktop calculator to calculate pre-tax cost and rebate amount)

There are many things I do not like about using a spreadsheet so I can give up some of the input convenience if required. Where we are a volunteer group I would like to keep things as simple, useful and robust as possible so if I need to hand over to someone else they can continue using it... Sounding like a idealist now ;-)

Thanks.