Can Gnucash Be Used As Single Entry?

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Mon Jan 25 08:16:54 EST 2016

On 1/24/2016 5:01 PM, DaveC49 wrote:
> Hi JL Marcos,
>
> You can think of double entry accounting as a generalisation of your
> spreadsheet system. In your single spreadsheet which is presumably for your
> bank account and/or credit card you are specifying the source account which
> in your spreadsheet is fixed at one of the above. You are also specifying
> the destination account ( the category of expenditure). In your spreadsheet
> if you want to know how much you spent on a particular category of
> expenditure, you would have to find all entries with that category as the
> destination and sum up the totals.
>
> Accountants are basically lazy and this is too much trouble if a business or
> entity has a large number of transactions so they derived a procedure in
> which an "account" is maintained for each source of funds for expenditure
> and an "account" is maintained for each category of expenditure.
As usual I will try to explain in terms of the history of bookkeeping.

Back in the days of pen and ink on paper, when transactions were first
entered into a journal and then posted to the ledger, it was noticed
that a very large percentage of transactions involved the cash account
and some relatively small subset of expense accounts (or income
accounts). So "cashbook bookkeeping" was invented. In that form, instead
of the journal, a "cashbook". That would have columns for debit and
credit to cash, a pair of columns debit and credit for transactions NOT
involving the subset (and in one variant, not involving cash either, and
then column pairs for the popular subset. The "general journal" could
also be kept separately.

When entering a transaction involving cash and one of the subset
accounts the "post" box was immediately marked (as these would not be
posted individually). Other transactions were like normal journal
entries, to be posted later. At the bottom of the page, an (big)
transaction to close each column to the ledger so below that the total
for every account (cash and the subsets) would be zero, an on to the
90% of the transactions individually. I still have a supply of 12 (4,
then 8 on facing side) column paper in some drawer. But if doing this
today, I would simply set up a spreadsheet with columns like that.
Another variant would have an "in" and "out" cash separately (here the
general journal almost certainly separately).

Because gnucash is autoposting, the saving of effort goes away. But it
something like THIS that somebody is likely doing when they say they are
using spreadsheets and "single entry". Nope, still a form of double entry.

Michael