OFX Note Propagation

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 25 12:57:25 EST 2016

I was just looking at year end tax information in my GnuCash data file, and I noticed that a large number of transactions had OFX notes in them, despite the fact that I am sure I entered these transactions manually. I suspect that the autofill feature is propagating these OFX notes for me. I think this is probably not a good idea, for a number of reasons:
1) the OFX note is only visible in Double-Line view mode, which is not the default. Adding especially-well hidden data to a transaction is IMHO not good.
2) while the OFX notes I examined were rather generic (e.g., "OFX ext. info: |Trans type:Deposit”) I understand that these notes often include a unique FITID, and copying one from one transaction to another would not be right.

Should I file a bug for this?

David