Account Structure Advice

ph hermes phsfca.hermes at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 16:25:40 EST 2016

i think this is really a question about what kind of fine detail you want
for the divident information from gnucash rather than from another source...

i have a small # of stocks, ETFs and i use the "lump them all into minimal
dividend accounts"  (for me that is brokerage 1- investements; brokerage 1
- roth ira; brokerage 2 - investments.... system and it works for me. if i
want specific information about 1 stock i get that in another way. at my
broker i can click on the stock and see my cost basis of the stock (buys +
reinvested dividends etc). and in other places i can get histories of
transactions. i can print this out or download it, too. but of course this
isn't "everything" as the online info only goes back so far.

you may want to look at what information you want gnucash to deliver via
say a report and then see which of your systems helps deliver that. and
which pieces of information you can get as easily or easier from your
account.

since i don't really use gnucash for my brokerage decisions... i only care
about cash flow, money in, money out, cost basis, dividends, taxes,
etc..... i don't need specific stock info.

i hope this helps.

       ph

writer ~:~ photographer ~:~ book designer
resident manager
paulahendricks.com