Problems with file sharing

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue Jan 26 02:14:47 EST 2016

On Mon 25 January 16 16:15:44 brian starnes wrote:
> I am trying to use gnucash to set up the finances for a new company. I want
> the files to be accessible and editable by other members of the company.
>
> I am having two problems.
>
> 1. When I save a file under a new name, the old file can't be located. When
> i click on the old file to bring it up, the new file appears and i can't
> figure out how to sepperate the two.

Hi,

You don't say which OS you are using, but problem No1 sounds like you are on
some flavour of OSX.  This operating system (for various arcane reasons) can't
auto-open a GC file that you've clicked on, it always re-opens the most recent
file.  File menu should give you a list of the 4 most recently-used files, are
they dead links?

> 2. I've attempted to use google drive, drop box and email to share the
> files. The person on the other end cannot open them. We have the same
> version of gnucash and still the file won't open.

Do you get any error message?  is there anything in a trace file (see the FAQ
for more on that)?  Is it the same OS on both computers?   Can you open & save
other files that are in the google drive on both computers?

HTH
Maf.

> If anyone could shed some light on these problems, it would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

Maf. King
PGP Key fingerprint = 8D68 A91F 733B 2C1F 43B7  2B7C E591 E8E1 0DE7 C542