GC 2.6.12 QIF Import Comments

R. Victor Klassen rvklassen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 06:49:08 EDT 2016

On Jul 5, 2016, at 7:16 PM, Listsub <listsub at liberator-systems.co.uk> wrote:

> Further it is not clear why GC even needs to do any matching when a complete logical set of data is being imported which contains no ambiguous data?
>
> John

QIF import is for far more than transferring files from Quicken (or another software system) to GnuCash.  In particular the most common case would be pulling in data from a financial institution that happens to support QIF export.  In this case the user may have entered any subset of the transactions over the course of the month and then when the month end comes, pull in the entire set, some of which need to be matched as duplicates.  Perhaps you were hoping for a checkbox that says “trust me, there aren’t any duplicates”?

For that matter I’d like checkboxes that say the date format is the same as last time, and “I’ve imported from this source before, don’t ask me so many questions along the way”.  But that’s all a matter of time and priorities, as this code base is developed and maintained by volunteers.