GC 2.6.12 QIF Import Comments

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 7 09:37:02 EDT 2016

As I have noted over the years, when I imported my  large data set from Quicken (over ten years ago), I ultimately used Quicken’s (then-available) export Accounts, Categories & Transactions option to export the entire file from Quicken, and then imported the entire file into GnuCash, with very little adjustment (or training) necessary. My Quicken data was well-suited for this, as I was ruthless about assigning every transaction to a Quicken category, which GnuCash very easily converted into accounts. I also ran test imports several times, and located gaps in my Quicken data (as evidenced by transactions directed to Imbalance-USD), and fixed them in Quicken, because Quicken could bulk change transactions better than GnuCash. When I got the result to a tolerable level, I went through the remainder and cleaned as best I could in GnuCash.

There were some edge cases that were tough:
* Retained earnings for stocks and mutual funds
* Opening balances for stocks and mutual funds
* Cost basis for stocks and mutual funds

These are rather complex areas for me to understand under best of circumstances, but my Quicken data did not help, as at some point in the past, I had split my Quicken file, which in Quicken-land creates a horrific combination of actual transactions (for cost basis purposes, I believe) in some accounts, and summary opening balance transactions in others. I have done my best over the years to ignore that ugliness.

Importing the whole means that matching is not needed, since it is all contained in the file. Training the matcher algorithm would then be left for later imports.

David