installation issue

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Jul 7 13:02:44 EDT 2016

> On Jul 7, 2016, at 8:23 AM, Alex Aycinena <alex.aycinena at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 2:30 AM, ping zhang <pz at reedsec.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi, Alex,
>>

>> I tried several times to install the GnuCash but failed and I could not
>> figure out why.
>>

>> I first installed the Chinese version and found that the display of the
>> characters in statements were not correct, instead of displaying the
>> Chinese characters, the blank squares were shown. I removed the Chinese
>> version and tried to install the English version but it seems to have the
>> same problem. I removed it the English version and restarted my PC and
>> installation and the problem of showing the statements in blank squares
>> still were there.
>>

>> I am not sure its because my pc runs windows Chinese version or something
>> else.  Thus I am writing to seek for help.

The blank squares problem is because the default font doesn't support Chinese characters. GnuCash doesn't have separate language versions, it has a set of translation files and picks one based on the language settings of the computer. That's
overridable, see http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Locale_Settings.

To select a different font use the "Select GnuCash Theme" program from the Start Menu's GnuCash folder. http://www.pinyinjoe.com/windows-7/win7-chinese-fonts.htm has a list of Chinese Fonts available on Windows 7.
Your next problem is likely to be setting your input method. I can only hope that the underlying library will do that
automatically for you on Windows, but it's not something with which I have any experience. It may work to set
GTK_IM_MODULE=ime in the environment file mentioned in http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Locale_Settings. If not try a web search on "gtk windows input method" for other suggestions.

Regards,
John Ralls