Tracking Projects

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Jul 15 18:50:42 EDT 2016

> On Jul 15, 2016, at 1:51 PM, csmbtreasurer <treasurer at celticsociety.org> wrote:
>
> Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.  What I was hoping for was a way to
> tag a transaction with a project code and a report all transaction sorted by
> project code with a total for each one.  Kind of a profit/loss statement for
> each project.  I could create income and expense accounts for each concert
> but I would end up with a large number of accounts that would only be used
> for a short period of time.
>
> I believe gnucash stores its data in an SQL database.  I'm very familiar
> with using SQL databases so can probably write my own report based on what
> has been entered in one of the existing gnucash fields, perhaps the
> memo/description field.  I'd just have t be careful to enter exactly the
> correct text in the field whereas having a specific project field with a
> dropdown menu of valid project codes would be much less prone to input
> errors.
>
> Is it possible to submit enhancement requests to the gnucash team?

GnuCash *can* store its data in a SQL database if you install the requisite drivers and database clients (they're included in the Windows All-in-One, and the SQLite3 driver/client is in the Mac All-in-One). Once you have the requisite software in place use File>Save As and select the SQL DB you prefer from the listbox at the top of the file chooser.

There's no need for an enhancement request for tags. That's already one of the most requested features, but of higher priority now is converting GnuCash to be a proper database application rather than one that happens to use a database as its object store.

Regards,
John Ralls