Imbalance account

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Sat Jul 16 08:41:17 EDT 2016

On 7/15/2016 4:35 PM, csmbtreasurer wrote:
> Thanks, that's pretty much what I did, Deleting the mysterious transaction
> cleared everything up and all my accounts are in balance.

It would do THAT (put your accounts into balance*) even if you were
wrong to delete the transaction. In other words, that there was some
REAL financial activity that is now not recorded in your books. Not
entering (or improperly deleting) a transaction is an error, but not one
that will put the books out of balance.

And however experienced you might be with computers, how experienced
with double entry bookkeeping. Could you manage a set of books old
fashioned pen and ink on paper? Or using a spreadsheet with columns like
would be on ledger paper?

I am very experienced with computers, professionally, and with financial
systems in particular, several decades spent in the cypher mines. Sorry,
but when something appears impossible, the FIRST thing to do is not jump
to thinking it a bug but look for the human error. Especially when you
are encountering a problem that seems to work just fine for everybody else.

Michael D Novack

* Your books WERE in balance before too. You misunderstand what the
Imbalance account is (misunderstand double entry). It is an ACCOUNT, a
"default account" that gnucash is using when no account was entered. In
other words, the account used when "user filed to specify an account for
this amount".