Fixing confused bayesian matching data?

Philip Matthews philip_matthews at magma.ca
Mon Jul 18 19:43:49 EDT 2016

Thanks to John, Wm, and Chris for their replies.

John wrote:
> The next major version of GnuCash (due around the end of next year) has a new dialog for deleting old match data contributed by Robert Fewell. It also changes the Bayesian matcher to use account GUIDs instead of names (as the plain-string matcher already does) to make it a bit more resistant to reorganization.

End of 2017 is a bit long for me to wait, so I think I will look for another solution.  But good to know that a more complete solution is in the pipeline.

> You can carefully edit out the match data from your file if you insist. Make a backup or two first and test carefully after your edit!

I have already done a couple of hand-editing experiments, but there is just too many slots (pages and pages and pages) to make that effective.

Wm wrote:
> Notwithstanding JohnR's reply are these one off getting-your-accounts-started transactions or something you're going to be
> doing on a regular basis?  I'd have thought different answers required depending.

It has been going on for a while now, and I still have more changes I would like to do. So yes, I think I need a good solution.

Chris wrote:
> There is already a perl script to do what you want, although I haven't used it. See 'Bayes' in http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Published_tools.

Thanks for the pointer!  A quick read seems to indicate that this is very close to what I was thinking of.

I also have a memory of someone replacing the Bayesian matching with something more configurable.  Don't recall the details now, or where I saw it.  If anyone knows, a pointer would be helpful.

- Philip