Account associations with Description are not "remembered"

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jul 19 11:41:10 EDT 2016

Hi Brooks,

Brooks Bridges <bridges.brooks at gmail.com> writes:

> Hello David,
>
> Appreciate reply but I'm still missing something.
>
> I checked preferences and do have Bayesian matching checked. My
> understanding is this is for unknown transactions - it attempts to
> recognize a grocery store for instance.
> In my case I deliberately imported a one-month earlier set of data, went
> in, matched a bunch of things to accounts, saved. Then I attached a set of
> later data. All were assigned "Imbalance-USD", even when there was an exact
> match to an earlier transaction.
> I just tried hand entering one previously matched - it recognized the
> description and completed it but nothing appeared in Transfer column.

Just to confirm... You're making these assignments *IN the Import
Window* and not after-the-fact, right?  Once you finish the import,
that's it.  If you've assigned accounts *during the import* then gnucash
should remember it.  HOWEVER once you finish it, if you've left
something in Imbalance and then change it from the register, GnuCash
WILL NOT learn that change.

> I sometimes leap small buildings with a running start but other times
> stumble over cracks in sidewalk.

Don't we all?  Especially if it's a wide, crooked crack :)

Hope this helps,