Investments (Mutual Funds)

Wm tcnw81 at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Sat Jul 23 14:12:46 EDT 2016

On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 08:31:49 +1000, in gmane.comp.gnome.apps.gnucash.user,
Chris Good <chris.good at ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> Message: 1
>> Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 13:08:05 -0700
>> From: Alex Aycinena <alex.aycinena at gmail.com>
>> To: Beryn Neeley <neeleyb1 at gmail.com>, "gnucash-user at gnucash.org"
>> 	<gnucash-user at gnucash.org>
>> Subject: Re: Investments (Mutual Funds)
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 6:42 PM, Beryn Neeley <neeleyb1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have established Mutual Fund accounts under the investments account.
>>> Initially, I entered the dollar value of the fund balances as the
>>> number of shares and I entered the price as $1.00 to display the
>>> correct total value of the investment portfolio.  A few days later, I
>>> obtained the detail information on the number of units (shares) of
>>> each fund and their respective prices.  When I keyed in the number of
>>> units and the applicable prices, I saw that the number of units was
>>> displayed on that accounts tab where I expected to see the $-value of
>>> the portfolio.  To maintain the correct balances, I re-entered the
>>> transactions as I did originally (with a price of $1.00).
>>>
>>> Kindly assist me in understanding how to setup these investments.

> Hi Beryn,
>
> Re your investments, you may need to go into Tools, Price Editor to correct
> the wrong price originally entered.

Depending on OS and version that may not give the desired results.  There
was a bug in this area in the previous to current version on Win.

Beryn: we need more info: OS and GnuCash version as well as you writing to
the write address.

>>> With regard to loans, I went through a process to setup the loan
>>> payments but I am not confident in how this is supposed to work.  I
>>> expected to setup a loan and expected that the loan payments would
>>> flow from it.  I actually set up the loan balances as accounts.
>>> Please provide guidance on setting up loans and their payments.

We expect people to read the sections of the two main documents under Help
relevant to their question before inappropriately approaching an
individual.

The variance in loans, periods, types and so on are too numerous for the
gnc druid to cover more than a fraction of the most obvious ones.  Are you
saying you weren't able to get it to work at all, i.e. you couldn't make it
produce roughly the right number of payments for roughly the right amount
of money?  If so I suggest you give a bit more detail after you use the
Help.

--
Wm