Why opening balances are in Grand Total?

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 11:06:53 EDT 2016

On 25 July 2016 at 13:44, George Shuklin <george.shuklin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/25/2016 02:00 PM, Buddha Buck wrote:
>>
>> The screen shot you took seems to list "Net Assets: €3". Is this not what
>> your total assets are? No value seems to be listed next to "Grand Total".
>

> Oh, I've got it. Grand Total is just empty. OK, then my question is: why
> 'net asserts' counts opening balances twice?

If you transfer from Equity to, for example, Cash, as is done for an
opening balance, that has no effect on the Net Assets shown on that
page as the two cancel out.   I have to admit that I have not found a
use for the Net Assets figure shown there as it does not seem to
represent anything useful in the real world, as far as I can see.

Colin