OFX Note Propagation

Rufus rlaggren at mail.com
Fri Jul 29 10:44:27 EDT 2016

> "OFX ext. info: |Trans type:Generic debit|Memo:"

Yes, that's the unwelcome fill I see.

> I think that there is
> actually more than one issue here.

Sounds likely. But if the Importer was curtailed, the other propagation
problem might be considerably reduced.

> One that is obvious to me is that the text itself applies only to the
> imported transaction so, like the FITID, it should not be propagated to
> copies of an imported transaction.

Again, sounds right to me. The FITID is interesting, perhaps, as an
example of what to do w/certain info useless and objectionable to the
general user.

> The other is whether it should appear in the first place when a transaction
> is imported.  I think that the original developer that created that code
> believed that he or she was tagging the transaction with information about
> how the import module handled that particular transaction.  That might be
> meaningful in the context of import module itself, and if it is, perhaps
> there should be another hidden field next to FITID to contain that
> information so that it does not clutter up the notes field or propagate to
> transaction copies.

Bingo. I'm on that wagon - could be moved to donation, even. <g>

> ... hiding the text before the linefeed
> without deleting it because the display code cannot expand the viewing
> area.

Definitely sounds dangerous, middle to long term.

Thanks for your thoughts. Maybe I'm not just on a meaningless noob wander...

Rufus