Can't save gnucash files

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 3 09:17:21 EDT 2016

Raven,

As Michael notes (and I believe you understand), the lock file is simply a method to ensure that multiple users don’t try to access the same file simultaneously.

To be honest, it sounds as if your problem has to do with Google Drive and how its various pieces interact, rather than GnuCash proper. Cloud storage apps sync files in a local folder to your account on the web in background processes. It sounds as if your manual save in GnuCash is conflicting with Google’s sync process, since you say the problem goes away when you pause Google. I would figure that Google’s sync process locks the file while it is syncing, causing the permissions problem. I would liken this to trying to delete a file on your hard drive while you have it open in Word. I am not sure how you might fix the problem long term…

David