Help importing historical stock prices

Jim Vincent jimvincent2 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 7 08:53:50 EDT 2016

OK - I will try the Google sheet.
Thanks
Jim Vincent

-----Original Message-----
From: David T. [mailto:sunfish62 at yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 7, 2016 8:47 AM
To: Jim Vincent <jimvincent2 at comcast.net>
Cc: david.carlson.417 at gmail.com; gnucash-user at gnucash.org
Subject: Re: Help importing historical stock prices

The wiki page includes the necessary scripts to gather and insert historical prices into a GnuCash file. I believe that you will need to have compiled GnuCash with python enabled, which will depend on the operating system you use.

However, before you go down that rabbit hole, perhaps you want to consider other means? GnuCash is designed firstly as an accounting app, and thus its focus is on actual transactions (as opposed to important, but not real, valuations). In other words, GnuCash works very well to document the value at which you purchased your stocks, and the value at which you sell them, but its toolset is not as useful for tracking valuation of holdings over multiple time periods. You might be trying to use a hammer to put in a screw.

If the reason you are trying to get these historical values is to establish the past value of your portfolio, it might be easier to use a spreadsheet to do this. I know that you can set up a Google Sheet with embedded functions that will quickly and easliy retrieve stock prices—without python or perl scripts. An hour or two (or three) experimenting in that might give you what you need more quickly.

David