fixed assets

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Jun 10 19:11:38 EDT 2016

> On Jun 10, 2016, at 3:42 PM, Elmar Schmeisser <eschmeisser at nc.rr.com> wrote:
>
> I have a question on how to update the value of fixed assets (car,
> house, etc.).  One can of course assign a value when the asset is
> created in GC, but what account does the appreciation/depreciation come
> from? - Elmar

That's more of an accounting question than a GnuCash one, and if this is for a business you should consult a licensed accountant for advice. In the USA depreciation is normally an expense. Change in market value is not normally entered into accounts until the asset is sold unless one is a bank large enough to be subject to Dodd-Frank which requires those banks to "mark to market" certain liabilities. In GnuCash one could create a security representing the asset and add prices for it in the price editor; its "market value" will then show on the Accounts page without affecting its "book value" in the register.

Regards,
John Ralls