Free BackupGnuCash tool

Wm tcnw81 at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 16 05:07:32 EDT 2016

On Fri, 3 Jun 2016 10:11:13 +1000, in
gmane.comp.gnome.apps.gnucash.devel,gmane.comp.gnome.apps.gnucash.user,
Chris Good <chris.good at ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> I've created an application for easily creating offsite (Dropbox/Google
> Drive/MS OneDrive etc) encrypted backups of the data files used by GnuCash.

[snip]

> I wrote this because I needed something nicer than a script, and as a way to
> teach myself Java.
>
> Gentle constructive criticism is welcome.

I think it would be useful if you looked at how PortableApps.com deals with
GnuCash as there is a bit more that needs to be carried around with a file
for it to be picked up and put down in another place.

If you'd like a quick ref to work backwards from try this
http://portableapps.com/support/gnucash_portable#modifications

I think we've (GnuCash community) got a bit muddled over time about what
belongs with a book on any given OS and that isn't really your problem to
fix but if you're thinking about it obviously your thoughts are welcomed.

for e.g. my saved reports for one book don't make sense with others.
Shouldn't saved reports be partnered with a book rather than a user?

ditto Edit / Preferences vs File / Properties anomalies, people that have
been using GnuCash for years (seniors included) sometimes get confused
about which of those setting belong to a person rather than a book,
instinctively people know which belongs to which but GnuCash doesn't do it
like that.

To some extent this is historic and it has been discussed before.  I'm just
letting you know that if you want to do the job properly on Win it might
have already been done by using the PortableApps version of GnuCash and
just backing that up and if you're thinking about non-Win then the logic PA
uses still applies.

--
Wm