importing QIF

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Jun 17 07:49:06 EDT 2016

Hi,

Please be sure to CC the gnucash-user list on all replies using your
mailer's reply-to-list or reply-all functionality.  Please do not reply
back just to me, because there are other people who can help and answer
questions (and lately I've been traveling a lot, which can result in a
week+ delay in a response).

Paul Kinzelman <paul at kinzelman.com> writes:

> Thanks for the reply! I'll give that a try. There are a few importing
> problems I found
> and so I put it on the back burner for awhile. I've got 20 years of
> financial data on
> my Quicken and I'd like to not be tied to it, but GnuCash still isn't
> up to the level of
> Quicken. I could probably use it, but I'd like to be able to cut loose
> from Quicken
> completely. The QIF import seems to not import everything, and the QIF
> format
> isn't well documented. I tried editing the QIF file, but that didn't
> seem to help.

Importing 20 years of history is a big job.  The importer isn't perfect;
different versions of quicken have slightly different quirks and
sometimes the importer hits an odd corner case.

It helps to start with a small section of import and make sure that it
comes in right before you import the whole thing.

I'm not sure what you mean by "does not import everything".

-derek