Help with GNUcash on new Mac Mini

Eve Mattingley testmagannex at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 22:03:38 EDT 2016

June 23, 2016

I have a new Mac Mini, running OS X 10.11.4.  I was previously
using a SnowLeopard Mac Mini (mid-2010), also OS X but of course
a slightly earlier OS X version. I have GNUcash v 2.4.13, which
ran fine on the earlier Mac, and I've been using it without incident
for several years.

In setting up the new system, we used Time Machine to bring in
all apps and data, which worked fine except that when I open GNUcash,
my general ledger simply does not exist.  All my account categories
are there, and several other customizations, but not the spent/
deposited money info itself.

In the course of trying to figure out what was wrong, I tried printing
several of my (custom) reports -- reports I print once a month for my
both my own business records and for my CPA.  I was able to more or less
duplicate reports I'd already printed (some report customization elements
were apparently lost or corrupted), but from what amounted to "invisible"
ledger information.  (Not sure that's clear.  One, I can see no ledger
ledger info at all -- zero balance, no entries.  Two, I already had
printed-out reports
for earlier months.  Three, I tried setting the date range for the month
of February 2016, then printed several reports, which matched what I had
on file.)

I simply do not understand why this is happening.  Honestly, I'm afraid to
touch anything for fear I'll make the situation worse.  I should probably
say that I am NOT especially computer-savvy.  I'm an experienced user, but
not any kind of programmer or someone who understands the deeper workings
of computers.  And I'm using Gnu-Cash because I used to have someone who
WAS computer-savvy who got it all up and running, but I no longer have
access to him.

I'd therefore appreciate having any help and replies expressed in "words
of one syllable" as far as technicalities of the app or its programming
are concerned.  Also, if there is relevant info I've left out that would
help identify the source of the problem, please don't imply that I'm a total
idiot (as I've seen in a number of exchanges between members of this list).
Just ask me for what you need to know in order to reply and/or help.

Many thanks for any help any of you can offer!

Cordially, Eve M-H