Accounting question

Dean Gibson gnucash.stuff at mailpen.com
Mon Jun 27 12:43:54 EDT 2016

On 2016-06-26 16:49, Buddha Buck wrote:

> But... what questions are you asking of your accounting system?

Exactly.  Presumably one is tracking expenses, and rebates are
integrally tied to a particular expense.  Often the decision to make a
particular purchase is based on the consideration of receiving the
rebate, so most people (outside of accounting) consider that the price
they paid to be offset by the rebate.  Thus, the rebate is an adjustment
to a particular expense, and should be so recorded.  Of course, I record
the pending receipt of the rebate in my "rebates receivables" asset account.

As for income taxes (not mentioned by the OP), I mark any income tax
withheld as a pre-paid taxes asset account.  Since you don't know the
AMOUNT of your tax liability, you shouldn't record it as one, in my
opinion.  Recording it as a pre-paid liability seems artificial to me.
When I finally compute my taxes, I record the total tax amount as an
expense, offset against pre-paid taxes.  The difference is either a
payment from, or a refund to, my cash account.